25 Random Things About Me
I'm pretty sure I've done this before but it's been a few years and I'm absolutely positive that a lot has changed about me since then, so here we go!
1. Generally, I don't really like vegetables. Never have. But given the knowledge of how it's good for your body and all that stuff, I've matured enough over the years that at least now I don't just leave them untouched on my plate. I did spend a considerable amount of effort in the last decade training myself to eat them and I do eat them now more often than I did before -- but I still don't have the same enthusiasm for it than I would a piece of filet mignon or a dark chocolate truffle.
2. I love music. This is not news but I love it even more now that I sing in a choir and get to perform with a full orchestra three times a year. I think I'm at a point that I might even love singing more than playing the piano, which is shocking because I'm not a trained singer and compared to others, I'm pretty sure I don't sing as super well. Playing the piano has always been that really intimate and special thing that I do for myself alone that always brought me such joy and satisfaction but it always required actually being in the same vicinity of a piano. With singing, I can do it anywhere and anytime, and as I had proven in the past, I can do it in my mind and still consider it as practice time! :)
3. I'm a workaholic. It's such a hard habit to break. I think it's because I see it more than a task. I see the importance and value of what I do in a bigger picture -- how it contributes to the cultural growth, community and future generations -- and because of that I can't bring myself to clock myself. I take responsibility seriously especially when I understand how my part plays a role in the success of anything. I don't do it to financially reward myself either which makes my workaholic-ness even worse and also means I'll never be wealthy! :P
4. I have no idea what I'm doing as a parent which I think accidentally made me a fun mom. I threw out all my ideas of how things should be and just started going with the flow. It does pose a challenge in a way that my kids don't fear me the way they fear their dad but I just can't bring myself to be the uptight type with the many rules. I hated that growing up so why would I do that to my kids? We still get things done, my kids still follow what I say, but we have a blast doing things together. I just think that there's no manual to follow and you have to live in the present. No matter what great examples you've seen work for other people, your situation will always be different. It's great to be inspired by what others do but when it comes to implementation, try your best to come up with your own :)
5. It only took thirty something years but I like going to church now. I look forward to it every week and feel uplifted afterwards which helps me through the rest of my week. I no longer think it's a waste of time, overrated and unnecessary to one's daily living. I still wouldn't go around recommending it to everybody though. It's a personal thing, it's not something somebody tells you to do and you just never question, even though a lot of people do function this way without really giving it a serious thought. I just feel that until you find that personal connection and form the value for yourself, then deep inside no matter how you appear to like it, it will always be this big useless waste of time that's just part of a routine.
1. Generally, I don't really like vegetables. Never have. But given the knowledge of how it's good for your body and all that stuff, I've matured enough over the years that at least now I don't just leave them untouched on my plate. I did spend a considerable amount of effort in the last decade training myself to eat them and I do eat them now more often than I did before -- but I still don't have the same enthusiasm for it than I would a piece of filet mignon or a dark chocolate truffle.
2. I love music. This is not news but I love it even more now that I sing in a choir and get to perform with a full orchestra three times a year. I think I'm at a point that I might even love singing more than playing the piano, which is shocking because I'm not a trained singer and compared to others, I'm pretty sure I don't sing as super well. Playing the piano has always been that really intimate and special thing that I do for myself alone that always brought me such joy and satisfaction but it always required actually being in the same vicinity of a piano. With singing, I can do it anywhere and anytime, and as I had proven in the past, I can do it in my mind and still consider it as practice time! :)
3. I'm a workaholic. It's such a hard habit to break. I think it's because I see it more than a task. I see the importance and value of what I do in a bigger picture -- how it contributes to the cultural growth, community and future generations -- and because of that I can't bring myself to clock myself. I take responsibility seriously especially when I understand how my part plays a role in the success of anything. I don't do it to financially reward myself either which makes my workaholic-ness even worse and also means I'll never be wealthy! :P
4. I have no idea what I'm doing as a parent which I think accidentally made me a fun mom. I threw out all my ideas of how things should be and just started going with the flow. It does pose a challenge in a way that my kids don't fear me the way they fear their dad but I just can't bring myself to be the uptight type with the many rules. I hated that growing up so why would I do that to my kids? We still get things done, my kids still follow what I say, but we have a blast doing things together. I just think that there's no manual to follow and you have to live in the present. No matter what great examples you've seen work for other people, your situation will always be different. It's great to be inspired by what others do but when it comes to implementation, try your best to come up with your own :)
5. It only took thirty something years but I like going to church now. I look forward to it every week and feel uplifted afterwards which helps me through the rest of my week. I no longer think it's a waste of time, overrated and unnecessary to one's daily living. I still wouldn't go around recommending it to everybody though. It's a personal thing, it's not something somebody tells you to do and you just never question, even though a lot of people do function this way without really giving it a serious thought. I just feel that until you find that personal connection and form the value for yourself, then deep inside no matter how you appear to like it, it will always be this big useless waste of time that's just part of a routine.
6. I have this pillow that I've had since I was one year old. I've taken it with me all these years and recently I noticed that it has started to flatten more and more. I'm sure there's a way to remedy this situation I just don't want to attempt it. That and somehow I don't want to change this one thing from my childhood that means so much to me even though it's obviously changing on me.
7. I really didn't learn to put make-up on until a couple of years ago. I'm still not any good at it but at least I look like a slight improvement of myself now when I do put it on. I'm not for wearing heavy make-up as a normal daily routine, although I do admire women who can pull it off and look great with it. My personal philosophy is wear make-up to polish your natural look. However making myself look more than my polished natural self on special occasions is still a challenge I'm trying to overcome.
8. I used to be a movie buff. I still watch a lot of movies now but no longer for the reason of keeping up with the critically acclaimed so I can out-guess the Oscar judges. I watch now purely to entertain myself. I'm too busy and my brain is overloaded with information as it is, I can't handle any more drama as a form of entertainment. It's got to be either a funny one, an action film, a romantic comedy, or a combination of some or all of the above.
9. This may also come as a shock coming from a bookworm such as me, but I haven't read a book in a year and the last one before that was 6 months earlier. If you dig math, you can probably predict the next time I'll most likely pick up another novel!
10. I've never been drunk. Despite my family's false belief that I'm a party girl growing up (which was strange because I wasn't even allowed to go to parties), I don't like drinking alcohol. I never did. In fact the whole time I was in high school and college I refused to even try it, even when it was family that was making me drink. You see when I was four years old, I accidentally drank brandy after a party at home, thinking it was soda. It was the most horrible thing I've ever tasted and from then on judged every alcoholic beverage on the planet as something very foul. That plus I've seen a lot of stupid things people have done when under the influence of alcohol and I just didn't want that for myself. When I was 21 I grew up some more and realized that a sip won't make you crazy instantly. It still tasted bad but I have learned to tolerate drinking for the sake of being polite to others. Sometimes I feel that I missed out in life by not being an irresponsible kid, but now I couldn't get drunk even if I wanted to. I missed the boat and has gotten way too sensible... and cheap!
11. My favourite food is sushi. I'd eat it several times everyday if I could. Nothing beats raw fish and rice. My personal record is eating 26 pieces of makis and nigiris for lunch in one seating. I have lost my ability to pig out in my "old age" but although I can no longer eat that much in one seating, sushi still remains my most favourite food ever.
12. I love community events and volunteerism. I just think that as a resident of your city, you should take it upon you to go out and support the things that your own community finds important. I take my kids to all that we can go to and expose them to everything that's available to us. You'll never know what ideas they might get from it or what positive impact it may have on them. I am also a strong advocate for volunteering. If you have the time and passion to support something valuable to you and the community, I wholeheartedly encourage sharing your time and expertise for the benefit of greater good. One day when I retire, I see myself joining multiple boards and committees and making the city an even better place than it already is.
13. I love where I live. Moving to Victoria was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Being surrounded by all things beautiful and really nice people, and none of the pretentiousness and materialistic need commonly found in big cities -- just simply makes life simpler and happier. Fresh air, perfect weather (for me) and no traffic count for a lot too!
14. I'm tired of galas. Both attending and organizing them. Getting all dressed up is overrated. Planning one and being in one as an organizer is one of the most exhausting things you can possibly do to yourself. Planning one on the side while staying on top of your normal responsibilities at work is why some people go into nervous breakdown. It takes special personality, skill and emotional intelligence to pull off this kind of thing successfully and come out of it with your sense of humour in tact. I'm one of those lucky ones. No matter how tired I get, I'm always proud of what gets accomplished and in the end that's always the important thing. But I still wouldn't start a gala for fun. The last one gave me hives for weeks!
15. When I use the washroom, I count the squares of the toilet paper I use. It has to be the same amount of squares each time and has to evenly fold properly. I have to admit that I get uncomfortable with public washrooms that use one of those toilet papers that don't have squares that I can count. I never realized I had this habit until Eduardo pointed it out to me just a couple of years ago when we had to use a family washroom with the kids. He just looked at me strangely with the most puzzled look ever -- "Are you really counting the squares on the toilet paper??!!!??" he squeaked at me.
16. I have SO many shoes. I don't even want to attempt to count them all. The funny part is, most of them are black, which makes you wonder -- why would I own so many of them that's the same colour anyway? It used to be because it depended on the style and length of my pants which dictated the more appropriate shoe shape and height. But now? I haven't really been shopping much as far as I know but when you look at my shoe closet you'd think those things were breeding over time!
17. I never came off as a nature person growing up because I was never really given the opportunity to explore outdoor activities. When I moved out to be on my own I started to get to know myself better and discovered other things I enjoy doing. Like walking for hours and hours and hours... I love waterfalls. I would drive and hike long ways just to see one.
9. This may also come as a shock coming from a bookworm such as me, but I haven't read a book in a year and the last one before that was 6 months earlier. If you dig math, you can probably predict the next time I'll most likely pick up another novel!
10. I've never been drunk. Despite my family's false belief that I'm a party girl growing up (which was strange because I wasn't even allowed to go to parties), I don't like drinking alcohol. I never did. In fact the whole time I was in high school and college I refused to even try it, even when it was family that was making me drink. You see when I was four years old, I accidentally drank brandy after a party at home, thinking it was soda. It was the most horrible thing I've ever tasted and from then on judged every alcoholic beverage on the planet as something very foul. That plus I've seen a lot of stupid things people have done when under the influence of alcohol and I just didn't want that for myself. When I was 21 I grew up some more and realized that a sip won't make you crazy instantly. It still tasted bad but I have learned to tolerate drinking for the sake of being polite to others. Sometimes I feel that I missed out in life by not being an irresponsible kid, but now I couldn't get drunk even if I wanted to. I missed the boat and has gotten way too sensible... and cheap!
11. My favourite food is sushi. I'd eat it several times everyday if I could. Nothing beats raw fish and rice. My personal record is eating 26 pieces of makis and nigiris for lunch in one seating. I have lost my ability to pig out in my "old age" but although I can no longer eat that much in one seating, sushi still remains my most favourite food ever.
12. I love community events and volunteerism. I just think that as a resident of your city, you should take it upon you to go out and support the things that your own community finds important. I take my kids to all that we can go to and expose them to everything that's available to us. You'll never know what ideas they might get from it or what positive impact it may have on them. I am also a strong advocate for volunteering. If you have the time and passion to support something valuable to you and the community, I wholeheartedly encourage sharing your time and expertise for the benefit of greater good. One day when I retire, I see myself joining multiple boards and committees and making the city an even better place than it already is.
13. I love where I live. Moving to Victoria was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Being surrounded by all things beautiful and really nice people, and none of the pretentiousness and materialistic need commonly found in big cities -- just simply makes life simpler and happier. Fresh air, perfect weather (for me) and no traffic count for a lot too!
14. I'm tired of galas. Both attending and organizing them. Getting all dressed up is overrated. Planning one and being in one as an organizer is one of the most exhausting things you can possibly do to yourself. Planning one on the side while staying on top of your normal responsibilities at work is why some people go into nervous breakdown. It takes special personality, skill and emotional intelligence to pull off this kind of thing successfully and come out of it with your sense of humour in tact. I'm one of those lucky ones. No matter how tired I get, I'm always proud of what gets accomplished and in the end that's always the important thing. But I still wouldn't start a gala for fun. The last one gave me hives for weeks!
15. When I use the washroom, I count the squares of the toilet paper I use. It has to be the same amount of squares each time and has to evenly fold properly. I have to admit that I get uncomfortable with public washrooms that use one of those toilet papers that don't have squares that I can count. I never realized I had this habit until Eduardo pointed it out to me just a couple of years ago when we had to use a family washroom with the kids. He just looked at me strangely with the most puzzled look ever -- "Are you really counting the squares on the toilet paper??!!!??" he squeaked at me.
16. I have SO many shoes. I don't even want to attempt to count them all. The funny part is, most of them are black, which makes you wonder -- why would I own so many of them that's the same colour anyway? It used to be because it depended on the style and length of my pants which dictated the more appropriate shoe shape and height. But now? I haven't really been shopping much as far as I know but when you look at my shoe closet you'd think those things were breeding over time!
17. I never came off as a nature person growing up because I was never really given the opportunity to explore outdoor activities. When I moved out to be on my own I started to get to know myself better and discovered other things I enjoy doing. Like walking for hours and hours and hours... I love waterfalls. I would drive and hike long ways just to see one.
18. Because I do so much at work and have multiple events all the time, I long for opportunities to just stay home and maybe even do some chores! I am lucky that my husband takes good care of the house and understands my demanding role at work so he picks up the slack a lot. The few occasions that I am able to pitch in, I do so wholeheartedly. Not ALL instances, but a few I really do :P
19. I find cooking so much fun. My parents and siblings don't think I can cook just because they don't hear me boast about it. It's one of the few things I know I can do and be creative with. I follow recipes to get the basic gist of how something gets done but then I always abandon the rules halfway through to add my own flair to it. I have to admit I don't get to do it as often as I would like to anymore because of my busy schedule, but when I do, I always put heart into it that makes even the simplest corned beef from a can gourmet!
20. I don't like heat. The combo of humidity and heat is almost always a sure way of getting a migraine and 98% of the time this is exactly what happens to me. I also hate sweating and feeling uncomfortably sticky. The sight of traffic or big crowds along with heat and humidity stresses me out and makes me cranky. Of course I lived in these circumstances for decades because I didn't know any better. That's why I'm never going to leave Victoria.
21. I have close to a thousand songs in my ipod. I don't think it's that much but as this is my second ipod ever, I've learned to be more selective with what I put in it. Most of it is still composed of alternative rock, but ever since I had kids they taught me to be more open to other genres of music and so now it also has a bit of pop music in it. And ever since I joined the choir, it now also has full albums of all the choral music I had ever sang. It always amuses me every time I have my ipod on shuffle, often enough after something heavy like Korn or Nirvana plays it is immediately followed by either something from Verdi Requiem, Mozart Requiem or Handel's Messiah.
22. I sing in the car A LOT. As I have the busiest schedule you can imagine, practising and learning choral music while driving has time and time again proven that it is the most effective way for me to cram an entire concert repertoire in the most efficient way possible, without breaking any traffic rules. I also sing while I cook, of course I'm always careful not to spill anything on my open score on the kitchen counter.
23. I can assure you, anyone who gets pregnant again six months after giving birth to her first baby, DID NOT plan it. Anyhow the memory of the wee hours of that one irresponsible night is probably in the top billing for the hottest thing Eduardo and I have ever done. Absolutely hands down no regrets. Plus look at Bell -- she's one kick ass daughter and she's only 5! It's a blessing. God knew that if he had allowed me to wait and have a normal gap before our second child that I would probably bail and never have another one. Bell just had to be born and she just had to be born to us. Couldn't agree more. She would've driven other parents crazy. But not us. As Eduardo said, she's our warrior princess ;)
24. Raine is... everything I wished he'd turn out to be when I was pregnant with him... and more! He's so different from other kids his age and I can't express it enough how he amazes me on a regular basis. The things I wished for when I was pregnant with him: that he would hopefully be artistic, musically inclined, kind to others, good and obedient, smart and eager to learn. I also secretly wished he'd be a ballet dancer but so far even he knows he can't dance all that well. But that's okay, I got all of the above except dancing and I didn't even have to accidentally prick my finger on a needle!
24. Raine is... everything I wished he'd turn out to be when I was pregnant with him... and more! He's so different from other kids his age and I can't express it enough how he amazes me on a regular basis. The things I wished for when I was pregnant with him: that he would hopefully be artistic, musically inclined, kind to others, good and obedient, smart and eager to learn. I also secretly wished he'd be a ballet dancer but so far even he knows he can't dance all that well. But that's okay, I got all of the above except dancing and I didn't even have to accidentally prick my finger on a needle!
25. I still don't know how Eduardo and I ended up together. Everything about us from the start was difficult, inconvenient, non-traditional, you name it. But I've also never met anyone so different from me and yet knows and loves me as just me. He never judged me for my resume, he didn't even run away when he met my family (he's crazy, he should've). All he cared about was that I did only the things that made me happy, which nobody else bothered to ask me about ever. It was never smooth sailing the whole way through, but what relationship is? Main take away: I'm glad we both had the guts to be out of the ordinary and defy the norm -- together.
Comments
and yes, we are all still unsure how you and eduardo ended up... opposites do attrack. :)