2014 Year End Review
I have time off. Right now. Actually two weeks of time off courtesy of my kind and generous boss who gave the entire staff a well-deserved time off over the holidays. Of course it didn't mean that I had nothing to do, in fact we've been out pretty much every day, doing fun stuff as a family. Pretty cool because I can't remember a time when I had this much amount of time off when I drew the line and genuinely did not think of work that I could be doing or the work that is waiting for me when I get back.
So... stress-free (but not necessarily not sleep-deprived) mind = time to write. So here I am.
What was 2014 like? In a nutshell, it was a direct result of everything I did and accomplished the year before. But this year, there were a few intangible things that came with tangible accomplishments that led me to realize that I'm finally beginning to mature about my outlook in life. My idea of goals are no longer as one-sided as they used to, let's put it that way.
1. I applied for the prestigious and highly coveted Opera America Leadership Intensive Program and got to be one of two Canadians accepted in the program. I went to San Francisco and New York to participate in the conference and workshop, got to spend time with the brightest up and coming leaders in the opera field and learned from the best resources I could possibly be exposed to.
However, the most important lesson I learned from the experience was something I didn't expect. I can't be wowed by big cities, glamour, prestige and big name organizations anymore. I used to though. My resume is covered by all those things. Instead, commitment to do something great with what you've got as opposed to jumping ship and looking for the next big shiny thing you can add to your credentials, is more valuable to me now. There will come a time when I will look for something new again, but it won't be because of what it can do for me, but what I can contribute to make something better.
2. Stepping out of my comfort zone couldn't have been more uncomfortable than being filmed, interviewed, singing a capella by myself while being professionally filmed and singing a piece of music I hadn't sung in over a year without any notice or warm up, for that matter. On the up side, I finally have concrete evidence that I have perfect pitch and that I can really, actually sing.
The non-tangible side was that I've always volunteered because I like to help out. I enjoy it and I really love being useful to causes I care about. I like making a difference. But every time I volunteer or accomplish a volunteer project, I move on and work on the next thing. Being chosen to be one of the ten recent Canadian citizens that make a difference in the community, made me really stop and smell the roses. I've been living a life where I am a good example to others and I didn't even know it. It happened at a time when I was about to re-evaluate my activities and think that I shouldn't be doing as much, but then I saw the pride in my children's eyes and I realized how I was being an example to them too. It hit me. They understand what I do and that every time I'm away or busy and not able to be with them, they understand that it's for a good reason and they witness what it is for. They love me for it anyway.
3. I got to work directly with one of the most difficult and demanding but incredibly dedicated philanthropists in the city and got along well with him. We pulled together a gala and an auction without the crazy need to create a committee and netted more than this event ever did. Don't get me wrong, I feared this man. There was not one phone call with him that didn't send tremors through my brain prior to saying hello on the phone, but I get him. He wanted success, I wanted success too and in the simplest and less intrusive and less complicated way as possible. This was my dream gala. Although I had to beg Eduardo to come in on a Saturday to help me finish my auction prep work, my entire auction display fit in a box. To net $220,000 where I had no auction committee and my auction display fit in a single box definitely constituted my dream gala.
4. 2014 had the most number of choral performances I've ever had in a single calendar year. A whopping 15 performances. I grew musically and artistically, my ears were sharper than ever, spot-on tone quality and pushed through any illnesses I might have in order to perform. I sang the Brahms Requiem and Carmina Burana in the same month despite having asthma! I learned Britten's War Requiem without practicing on my own at home! Although not ideal practices and circumstances, I succeeded anyway. Nothing to be frowned upon, I have to say, but when your heart is in it and you put in the hard work, there's almost always someone who looks after you and compensates for the rest. Can't go wrong with faith in yourself along with faith in things that are greater than yourself.
5. We reduced our energy consumption by 26%!!!
6. I became PAC Chair of my kids' school. I honestly never saw myself as the type, but I am still my mother's daughter after all. The only difference is she did it for prestige, I agreed to do it because I genuinely wanted to help. And if I had time to volunteer for causes that are dear to me, I can find time to contribute to my kids' educational environment.
7. I got to travel a lot this year because of work and in every city I visited, my goal was not to go sightseeing or go shopping anymore, It was to spend time with my dearest of friends whom I don't always get to see. Friendships I've had over the years and I realized which ones were the true ones. The really great ones were the ones where no matter how long you didn't see or speak to each other in person, when you see each other the next time, it's like time never elapsed. I also learned of some who didn't value friendship the same way and couldn't get past their own personal needs. But fortunately, I have more friends in the first category than the latter, and I couldn't be more grateful that I have them in my life.
8. Eduardo and I celebrated our 10th year anniversary. Like a whole decade. When so many people I know are breaking up and whose marriages are failing, being able to stay together for ten years and say that you're happy is a huge accomplishment. Nothing between us started easily and I look back to the number of times I wanted to walk out and do over, only to realize that I had my own faults too that weren't exactly contributing positively to our marriage either. Marriage is hard work and it takes time to find your groove. Love isn't enough but you do need lots of it, and lucky for us we do! Once we got over ourselves and our individual selfishness, everything just fell into place and I realized nobody else in this world could possibly love me more and that I actually did end up marrying my best friend. Bring on more decades!
9. This isn't exactly my accomplishment, but at the beginning of this year, Eduardo found a way to rearrange his schedule so he can go to church regularly with the whole family. I never expected what a positive thing it would be for us. There is strength in faith and I used to think that it's an individual thing, I never really saw the benefits of it for a family, but there really is. I can't explain what it is exactly, but that whole cliche about the family that prays together, stays together? I'm starting to believe there really is some truth to that. There's definitely positive energy. And it radiates. And it's contagious. And we're happier. Go figure.
10. Lastly, I feel like this year's theme was recognition. When I said earlier that 2014 was a direct result of everything I did in 2013, it was because I answered the call of all the leadership opportunities offered to me and the following year I was recognized for it. But I also realized that the reason I do well and why my heart is always in the right place, isn't just about me. I do well because of the company I keep and I am surrounded by the best people all the time. From family, to co-workers, church, to colleagues in the field and places I volunteer for, I am surrounded by the best people. This was my blessing for this year. I learned to be grateful for all the wonderful people I am fortunate to know or have the opportunity to work with and that nothing I do would have been successful on my own.
So... stress-free (but not necessarily not sleep-deprived) mind = time to write. So here I am.
What was 2014 like? In a nutshell, it was a direct result of everything I did and accomplished the year before. But this year, there were a few intangible things that came with tangible accomplishments that led me to realize that I'm finally beginning to mature about my outlook in life. My idea of goals are no longer as one-sided as they used to, let's put it that way.
1. I applied for the prestigious and highly coveted Opera America Leadership Intensive Program and got to be one of two Canadians accepted in the program. I went to San Francisco and New York to participate in the conference and workshop, got to spend time with the brightest up and coming leaders in the opera field and learned from the best resources I could possibly be exposed to.
However, the most important lesson I learned from the experience was something I didn't expect. I can't be wowed by big cities, glamour, prestige and big name organizations anymore. I used to though. My resume is covered by all those things. Instead, commitment to do something great with what you've got as opposed to jumping ship and looking for the next big shiny thing you can add to your credentials, is more valuable to me now. There will come a time when I will look for something new again, but it won't be because of what it can do for me, but what I can contribute to make something better.
2. Stepping out of my comfort zone couldn't have been more uncomfortable than being filmed, interviewed, singing a capella by myself while being professionally filmed and singing a piece of music I hadn't sung in over a year without any notice or warm up, for that matter. On the up side, I finally have concrete evidence that I have perfect pitch and that I can really, actually sing.
The non-tangible side was that I've always volunteered because I like to help out. I enjoy it and I really love being useful to causes I care about. I like making a difference. But every time I volunteer or accomplish a volunteer project, I move on and work on the next thing. Being chosen to be one of the ten recent Canadian citizens that make a difference in the community, made me really stop and smell the roses. I've been living a life where I am a good example to others and I didn't even know it. It happened at a time when I was about to re-evaluate my activities and think that I shouldn't be doing as much, but then I saw the pride in my children's eyes and I realized how I was being an example to them too. It hit me. They understand what I do and that every time I'm away or busy and not able to be with them, they understand that it's for a good reason and they witness what it is for. They love me for it anyway.
3. I got to work directly with one of the most difficult and demanding but incredibly dedicated philanthropists in the city and got along well with him. We pulled together a gala and an auction without the crazy need to create a committee and netted more than this event ever did. Don't get me wrong, I feared this man. There was not one phone call with him that didn't send tremors through my brain prior to saying hello on the phone, but I get him. He wanted success, I wanted success too and in the simplest and less intrusive and less complicated way as possible. This was my dream gala. Although I had to beg Eduardo to come in on a Saturday to help me finish my auction prep work, my entire auction display fit in a box. To net $220,000 where I had no auction committee and my auction display fit in a single box definitely constituted my dream gala.
4. 2014 had the most number of choral performances I've ever had in a single calendar year. A whopping 15 performances. I grew musically and artistically, my ears were sharper than ever, spot-on tone quality and pushed through any illnesses I might have in order to perform. I sang the Brahms Requiem and Carmina Burana in the same month despite having asthma! I learned Britten's War Requiem without practicing on my own at home! Although not ideal practices and circumstances, I succeeded anyway. Nothing to be frowned upon, I have to say, but when your heart is in it and you put in the hard work, there's almost always someone who looks after you and compensates for the rest. Can't go wrong with faith in yourself along with faith in things that are greater than yourself.
5. We reduced our energy consumption by 26%!!!
6. I became PAC Chair of my kids' school. I honestly never saw myself as the type, but I am still my mother's daughter after all. The only difference is she did it for prestige, I agreed to do it because I genuinely wanted to help. And if I had time to volunteer for causes that are dear to me, I can find time to contribute to my kids' educational environment.
7. I got to travel a lot this year because of work and in every city I visited, my goal was not to go sightseeing or go shopping anymore, It was to spend time with my dearest of friends whom I don't always get to see. Friendships I've had over the years and I realized which ones were the true ones. The really great ones were the ones where no matter how long you didn't see or speak to each other in person, when you see each other the next time, it's like time never elapsed. I also learned of some who didn't value friendship the same way and couldn't get past their own personal needs. But fortunately, I have more friends in the first category than the latter, and I couldn't be more grateful that I have them in my life.
8. Eduardo and I celebrated our 10th year anniversary. Like a whole decade. When so many people I know are breaking up and whose marriages are failing, being able to stay together for ten years and say that you're happy is a huge accomplishment. Nothing between us started easily and I look back to the number of times I wanted to walk out and do over, only to realize that I had my own faults too that weren't exactly contributing positively to our marriage either. Marriage is hard work and it takes time to find your groove. Love isn't enough but you do need lots of it, and lucky for us we do! Once we got over ourselves and our individual selfishness, everything just fell into place and I realized nobody else in this world could possibly love me more and that I actually did end up marrying my best friend. Bring on more decades!
9. This isn't exactly my accomplishment, but at the beginning of this year, Eduardo found a way to rearrange his schedule so he can go to church regularly with the whole family. I never expected what a positive thing it would be for us. There is strength in faith and I used to think that it's an individual thing, I never really saw the benefits of it for a family, but there really is. I can't explain what it is exactly, but that whole cliche about the family that prays together, stays together? I'm starting to believe there really is some truth to that. There's definitely positive energy. And it radiates. And it's contagious. And we're happier. Go figure.
10. Lastly, I feel like this year's theme was recognition. When I said earlier that 2014 was a direct result of everything I did in 2013, it was because I answered the call of all the leadership opportunities offered to me and the following year I was recognized for it. But I also realized that the reason I do well and why my heart is always in the right place, isn't just about me. I do well because of the company I keep and I am surrounded by the best people all the time. From family, to co-workers, church, to colleagues in the field and places I volunteer for, I am surrounded by the best people. This was my blessing for this year. I learned to be grateful for all the wonderful people I am fortunate to know or have the opportunity to work with and that nothing I do would have been successful on my own.
Comments