Joanna Digest #9

1. Victoria Day Weekend - We were supposed to spend this weekend cleaning and organizing the apartment in preparation for my parents' arrival in June. Of course, as most long weekends go, we didn't really get to do what we had originally planned.
  • Friday night was spent browsing minivans, going from one dealership to another and visiting private sellers as well.

  • Saturday was spent attending the kids' swimming class and then doing grocery shopping afterwards, and you know what happens when we go to the supermarket. It pretty much ends up eating up the rest of the day.


  • Sunday we went to a local dog show held at one of the provincial parks, and then after that we watched the marching band competition at the parliament grounds.


  • Monday morning was the Victoria Day parade and we were up bright and early, sitting on the street side of Douglas Street. Raine cheered more for the rock band float than the marching bands. Sure, who cares about the 50-piece marching band? Punks not dead!


2. Sound of Music - Raine's Sound of Music of phase is still ongoing. He won't stop singing, no matter where we are or what time it is. As long as he's awake, Sound of Music it is! We thought of introducing some other musicals but, as our SoM dvd has started skipping now, clearly he's not ready to move on yet. But we're definitely ready to move on. One night Eduardo couldn't even sleep because the songs kept playing in his head over and over again. The words to the lyrics are beginning to sound more precise and audible and I am very impressed with his apparent natural talent for rhythm and timing. He did not get THAT from me.

3. Minivan - After a long and desperate search we have finally found a winner! Apparently it's Eduardo's birthday present to me. I was really hoping he'd remember how much I wanted those tiny pearl earrings at the mall, which is five hundred times cheaper than a car (I'm seriously really very easy to please), but oh well, I guess turning thirty means embracing familyhood, so okay, fine, I surrender, bring on the school bus! I'm still in denial that I actually have to drive it the most. I know that judging on my tone I'm not exactly jumping up and down with joy but I do appreciate it. It was a sweet gesture, not to mention practical, useful, and a necessity, all things that I am a big fan of. It's just that... ugh, does it really have to seat seven passengers, have so much more leg room, have so much more trunk space and comes with a roof rack???

4. Swimming Status Update- My goal date is a week away but as I have no other time to practice, I really only have two more days of swimming lessons before I turn thirty and I'm still not yet an expert! Okay that's not fair, especially given the time frame and the amount of pool time I have ever since I stated this goal, it is impossible to become an expert. But since this is me talking, subconciously of course I naturally aimed higher and had really wanted to swim like a fish by my birthday. But for the sake of feasibility, I know I can do a front crawl and swim the whole length of the pool by next Saturday. I can do it now, it's just that I have grown really attached to the flutter board. It doesn't matter, it's just mind over matter and I plan on letting go of that habit this week.
5. Goggle Magic - By the way, Eduardo got me my very own swimming goggles for mother's day since all our presents for that occasion had a swimming theme. And I tell you, swimming with goggles definitely did wonders! I swam so much better and I felt like I had less to worry about.

6. Birthday - I'm turning thirty next Saturday. I can't believe I'm leaving my twenties behind in a week's time! Not that it matters since I still look like I'm in junior high. It doesn't feel that big a deal as I thought it would be. I guess in terms of number of years it is a milestone and I feel obligated to commemorate it with something special enough. I've been wanting to go up to the Olympic Mountains since I moved here but there was never a good time. I've been planning on bringing the whole family and doing that on my birthday this year, but on the flip side celebrating is also wanting to do something really special for myself, and that something special is -- sleep. Seriously. If there was one thing I wanted to do that I know for sure would make me happy, refreshed, energized, and would definitely leave a lasting memory of my thirtieth birthday, it would be to sleep soundlessly and without interruption. If I even still know how to do that.

7. Parents' Visit - Another thing that's freaking me out is my parents' arrival on June 1st. They're staying with us for a month initially, then leave for Pennsylvania, and then come back here again in September to help take care of the kids when I go back to work. I haven't lived with my parents in almost a decade and we seriously don't know each other anymore. At least not in the sense of what it's like to live under the same roof. I guess I'm just worried that I don't know what to expect.

8. Gap Jeans - Gap jeans are the best and ever since I threw out my old pair I've been wanting to replace it. It's been a mainstay on my wish list for quite a while now but I always put off buying a new pair because it's so expensive. I finally got to buy a new pair though, and the only reason was because it was on sale for $15 -- SCORE!

9. Kikay-ness - Eduardo got me one of those flat-iron hair straightener thingies. He figured I can finally stop having issues with my hair once I've tried using it and see if I can put up with using it all the time. It's been a week and it's still sitting unopened. I will get to it, I promise. And while we're on this topic, I might as well add that I also finally caved and bought that weightless foundation that automatically matches your skin tone, so I can finally stop wondering if it really does work. I've used it once and I guess it worked because I couldn't tell whether I had it on or not.
10. 2! - I'm back to a size 2! For now anyway... It's been ten years since I was last a size 2, it's freaky. I'm almost too sure I'll go back to my normal size as soon as I go back to work and not breastfeeding anymore so I shouldn't really start shopping now for clothes that actually fit me. But then again, I really should have something to hold me off for a while if I'm at a point when even my yoga pants are falling off!

Comments

myls said…
lapit na birthday, yey! happy birthday to you! have a blast on your 30th! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Billy

Book #4 - Night Terrors

2014 Year End Review