Year 1









This is coming out a little late as I didn't get to write sooner, but last March 26 was my first year anniversary in Victoria. Seriously, the year went by too quickly, but I want to take this opportunity to look back and reflect on the things that happened and the many valuable things I learned since I moved to my new home.

I can't believe I live on an island. Surrounded by nature. So close and yet so far from any major metropolitan area, where traveling anywhere is so complicated sometimes you wonder why you even bother. And yet I still like it here. It's so beautiful here. Although I'm sure some people would think otherwise, I am determined not to let anyone ruin this for me. I like it here.
I can't believe I slept on the floor for a whole month while I was pregnant! It took a while for my stuff to get shipped and delivered here and again took a little longer to actually set up my bed once my stuff actually arrived. And because I wasn't supposed to lift or carry anything heavy, I had to endure a whole month of sleeping on the floor. Okay, it wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world but it grows on you. Believe it or not, after that whole experience I realized that I can live without a bed but having a chair and a table is a necessity, if that makes any sense. Or maybe I was just pregnant at that time? Go figure.

That whole experience also taught me that it is possible to live a simple life and that you can get by with the simplest of possessions. I learned to cook rice the old fashioned way, out of desperation because I cannot live without eating rice. I didn't even know how exactly, I just knew in theory but had never done it before, and using a tiny sauce pan too! Gotta do what you've gotta do with whatever you've got, right? The outcome was a success even though the process wasn't exactly the correct way to do it. Bottom line, I got a meal out of it and I didn't starve.

I like being by myself. Not that I'm a loner, although maybe I am since I'm too secure with myself to rely on other people for entertainment. Or I just thrive well in a drama-free environment, far away from anyone who could be a potential source of unwanted drama. Or maybe I was just happy then because I thought I had already eliminated unwanted drama. Ah the irony. Anyway, I was really happy to have six whole months to myself, despite missing Eduardo and Raine. Besides I wasn't really alone during that time. I had Isabella =)

I also realized during that time that I am not an emotional person. Not even a little. At all. And to think that I was pregnant during that time. I am not without feelings or sentiments, I'm just not petty. I don't really cry over stuff, unless I'm angry and dying to rip someone's head off (or looking at google map. LOL). I went to all my OB and ultrasound appointments by myself and not once did I feel weepy that nobody was there to hold my hand while some person put cold jelly on my tummy. I had a few dizzy spells and even fainted a few times but I didn't feel sorry that I didn't have my family around. But thank God our CEO was! (Yup, she just had to be the one to walk out the elevator while I was trying to regain consciousness)
The most important lesson from this year was mind over matter. It would've been really easy to slump down and fall into depression if you allow yourself to be sad about anything. Even if it's valid to be sad, it's not a good enough excuse to be sad. Focus on your goals. Focus on your responsibilities. Focus on what will fall through the cracks if you don't get it together, but allow yourself to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment, especially when you did it all on your own.
Here's to more fabulous things to come on my second year here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Billy

Book #4 - Night Terrors

2014 Year End Review